History of the School
Lake City's first private school was organized in 1875 by Prof. T.H. Cannon, who taught a class of 40 students "all branches of English" for $3 a month. For an additional $2 a month, Prof. Cannon taught bookkeeping, business instruction and mining law.
Hinsdale County School District No. 1 was formed in January of 1876 and enrolled 28 students in the county's first public school, one of the earliest schools on Colorado's Western Slope.
The central portion of today's school was constructed in 1987. The design mirrors the rich architectural history of the area. The cupola dates to 1884 and was originally part of the Hiram C. Kelly estate in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Included in the structure are three elementary classrooms, library, administrative offices and a large commons area.
In 2001, taxpayers approved a 1.5 million dollar bond issue which added a middle and high school wing with classrooms for math, science, history and language arts and a wing containing an arts room and classroom for pre-Kindergarten classes. The 1987 core building was remodeled for better administrative spaces and increased functionality.
Credits: Lake City Silver World Newspaper, Grant Houston, Editor; Paul Chastain, Wallace collection; Laurie Vierheller; Staff.